Hurricanes and heavy rains can, sure enough, bring flooding. Another cause would be plumbing concerns. Problematic pipes could imply clogged drains and overflowing toilets. Whether in detached houses or multi-story structures, flooding can happen.
Unclean water can increase the transmission of water-borne diseases. These illnesses are from contaminated human and animal wastes and can get into the human body in several ways.
Diseases From the Water
Contaminants transported by water can seep through anything porous, such as building products like wood or concrete, or might infiltrate the soil. These can affect the supply of water and vegetation.
Ingestion and Contact
Flood waters can bring bacteria and viruses from animal or human feces and can come into contact with drinking water or food supply. Direct contact with flood waters can likewise cause these to infiltrate skin through scratches or open wounds. The most typical diseases are the following.
- Typhoid Fever – This can be deadly if not treated. The symptoms are stomach discomfort, constipation, diarrhea, prolonged fever, nausea, and headaches.
- Cholera – Watery diarrhea is the major symptom of cholera and might cause dehydration and might likewise be fatal.
- Hepatitis A – It is an extremely contagious liver illness that can cause loss of appetite, diarrhea, nausea, dark-colored urine, and jaundice. Sometimes, this can cause the liver function to stop.
- Leptospirosis – This is caused by bacteria from animals, most especially rodents. Infected urine can blend with water or soil and can get into the body through the skin, genitals, nose, or mouth. Symptoms resemble hepatitis A. However, more severe infections can trigger kidney failure, meningitis, and other serious complications.
Mosquito-Borne Viral Infections
Mosquitoes need to find water to reproduce, and whatever water stays from floods is the perfect place for eggs to be laid. Mosquito bites can transfer viruses to human beings. Such are:
- Malaria – This manifests with flu-like symptoms and body pains. Serious cases can cause seizures, coma, and death.
- Dengue Fever – High fever, eye pain, and rashes are the first signs of this viral infection. If not dealt with early, this might trigger internal hemorrhaging and can be fatal.
If water damage or any dampness stays after flooding, mold is unavoidable. These come from air-borne spores and will thrive on any surface. Direct exposure to toxic mold can cause mild to serious medical concerns. People who have allergies and those who are immuno-compromised are easy candidates.
Some mild symptoms might be the following:
- runny nose and congestion
- eye irritation
- skin rashes
Molds can produce mycotoxins– toxic substances that can enter the brain. If this happens, it will result in loss of memory, metabolism problems, and induce brain inflammation.
What to Do in Case of Flooding
Standing water and water damage should be addressed to prevent the spread of illnesses. This Canton cleaning company can tell you more.
Wear Protective Clothing
After an instance of flooding, do not enter the compromised location without protective clothes such as rubber boots, gloves, etc.
Stay Away From the Danger
If possible, do not try to clean up. If there is extreme damage due to flooding, some locations might be too weak to walk or stand on. Mosquitoes may be present, or accidents might hurt you, making you prone to illness.
Contact a Professional Remediation Company
The very best possible way to fix the water damage issue is to call the experts. Water damage restoration must be done with the right equipment. These experts move fast and thoroughly.
Eliminating the Water Damage
Remediation experts can turn a place inside out and replace any parts of a structure that are no longer of any use. They have equipment that can remove any standing water and make use of fans and dryers to eliminate any remaining moisture.
The mold remediation companies utilize appropriate cleaning agents to get rid of all pollutants, eliminating bacteria and viruses. While subjected to fans and blowers, they likewise utilize HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filters for clearing the air. Mold spores are prevented from sticking to surfaces and multiplying when cleaning and moisture removal is successful.
Wrapping It Up
Occurrences like flooding must be taken seriously and managed immediately. To prevent further damage and unfortunate health and safety issues, ask remediation professionals to assess the scenario. They will have the ability to give appropriate suggestions on what should be done, whether cleaning is sufficient or if reconstruction is needed.